Monday, February 7, 2011

My Weekly Menu

I have to laugh at myself! When I first started to blog, I decided I'd try a new recipe every week and post it if my family liked it. Well, that lasted about 3 weeks! I had good intentions, really! So, now another good intention that I hope will last longer: My Weekly Menu! I've had several people talk to me lately about the weekly menu I make for my family. I know this isn't any new concept, lots of people do it. I actually got the idea from a Pottery Barn catalog--a cute little white board posted in the kitchen with the menu for the week. I started to do it about a year ago, and I love it! It keeps my grocery shopping trips to a minimal (Monday shopping trips usually last me the whole week :), it saves me from the dreaded question from my children, "Mom, what's for dinner?" (I simply point to the white board--we're actually past this phase, they don't even ask anymore--HALLELUJAH!), and it gives me the motivation to try all sorts of new recipes. When it's posted on the white board, I shop for it, and I make it! I'm strict with myself about keeping to my menu. Sometimes an adjustment needs to be made, such as switching Tuesday's meal for Thursday's meal because of a BBall game or something, but in general I stick to my menu. I even have neighbor kids come and look at the menu, and then they decide when they want to approach the "Can I eat at your house?" question.

So, I've decided to post my menu here each week. Nothing fancy. I'll give the links to the recipes, if they're on the internet. Otherwise, I'll give a quick run down of the recipe. I'm hoping that those who have asked for recipes, and I haven't gotten back to them, will take a look at my blog and maybe I'll be forgiven for my forgetfulness! And perhaps it will help my mom, she's getting more adventurous with her cooking and often asks what's for dinner. So here you go....

MONDAY: Turkey Club Braid, Spinach Salad with Strawberries and sesame cashews
Turkey Club Braid
( just make a turkey/bacon filling instead of the BBQ chicken)
TUESDAY: Crockpot Mango Chicken Burritos
Crockpot Mango Chicken Burritos
WEDNESDAY: Chicken Cacciatore, Angelhair pasta, Green salad
Chicken Cacciatore
THURSDAY: Asian Lettuce Wraps and Potstickers
Asian Lettuce Wraps
(I use ground turkey instead of ground beef, and the Potstickers are from good ol' Costco)
FRIDAY: Soup and Cheese Toasties (I put up tomato/pasta/vegetable soup each summer, it's delish! But the recipe makes 10 quarts and takes ALL day to make and bottle. But if you want the recipe, let me know!)
SATURDAY: Mom's Night Off! :)
SUNDAY: Cubed Steak, Mashed Potatoes, and Sesame Green Beans
For the cubed steak, crush saltine crackers, dip cubed steak in milk, dredge in saltine crackers, salt and pepper to taste, and fry in butter on the griddle. I know, it's a heart clogger! But it's GOOD!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Marisa, this is JUST what I needed. I'm going grocery shopping today, and was going to surf the web for some new ideas, but now I don't have to look any further than your blog. Thanks!

And, I completely agree with you on the cubed steak. There is nothing better, heart clogger or no!

Chris and Jen Wright said...

I love weekly menu's I've gone as far to make 4 weeks worth of menu'sand shopping lists and i just rotate through them. The only drawback now is when I feel like trying something adventerous its harder to fit it in. Your recipes are yummy!!! thanks for sharing!

Tricia said...

You're my HERO!! and yes....I am being serious! ;) I love the idea of having the menu for the week (which I have been doing because of your inspiration)Now...to find someone to cook it for me..hmmmm?!?!? haha!