Sunday, January 1, 2012

A great holiday and gluten free cooking!

It has been a great holiday season! My husband had the entire week off after Christmas, and we played and played! We took the boys on a ski/snowboarding trip for a few days and had a blast! My youngest is hilarious on skis! He's quite good and has no fear. You can always tell which run he's on because he yells at the top of his lungs as he skis straight down the mountain, "Yee-haw!" The other boys are close to surpassing me with their skills! But they've got a long ways to go before they'll surpass their dad (is that possible? I don't know, he's REALLY good!) We had fun hanging out together, watching silly movies, and eating good food. I'm not sure if I'm ready for school to start again, although a schedule and routine sounds nice. And now we have to wait a whole year for Christmas to come again!

I have a lot of people ask me about how I cook gluten-free for one of my children. Is it hard? Sometimes. But for the most part, I just have to be organized with a menu and it's not too inconvenient. This particular child is not a celiac, just gluten intolerant. I don't have to be ultra careful to make sure that nothing has been gluten contaminated, but I do my best. In my recipes, if something uses pasta, I uses 'Brown Rice Pasta' by Tinkyada. It tastes great and my family cannot tell the difference. It's also whole grain, so it's better for all of us. If I make enchiladas, I always make several with corn tortillas for my gluten-free guy. I also buy him special bread for toast. Baked goods are really the most different part of gluten-free eating. I bake a lot of things with almond flour, such as muffins and cookies, and I use whole grain oats a lot. I love Elana's Pantry and get a lot of my goodie and baking recipes from her. I also love my cookbook 'Eat Free' by Rhiannon Lawrence. Really, the most difficult part is making his lunches. I'd love suggestions for gluten-free brown bag lunch ideas. I'm always searching for ideas!

Here's my menu for this week:
Monday: Chicken Cordon Bleu, Brown Rice, Sauteed Lime and Garlic Asparagus
Tuesday: Slow Cooker Lentil and Ham Soup, Corn Muffins
Wednesday: Shredded Beef Tomatillo Enchiladas, Mexican Rice, Green Salad
Thursday: Spaghetti with Marinara (I made a huge batch of this yummy sauce in the summer and it frozen into quart bags), Parmesan Toast, Green Salad
Friday: Pizza Night! (I make a huge batch of this Gluten Free Pizza Dough for my gluten-free guy. I shape it into several mini pizza crusts and bake it for about 8 minutes and then freeze it)
Saturday: Mom's night off!
Sunday: Crockpot Barbeque, Baked Potatoes, Steamed Broccoli

No comments: