Saturday, March 26, 2011

Bread, bread, bread!

I love to make my own bread! I know you can find some pretty good breads out there, but there's something so satisfying about making your own and feeding your family with it. Do not be even a smidge impressed, because I totally cheat! My breadmaker does all the work and puts in all the time. The only thing I don't do with the breadmaker, is bake it in it. For some reason, I don't like the crust and it doesn't taste nearly as good when it's baked in the breadmaker. So, all of the recipes I use, I add the ingredients to my breadmaker and set it to the dough cycle. When it's finished, I rise it in my own bread pans and bake it in the oven. Oh, YUM! I actually don't eat a lot of bread, but my kids go through it quickly with sandwiches for their lunches and toast for breakfast. And now that I've found a delicious recipe for 100% Whole Grain Spelt bread, I can eat it without my thyroid going crazy on me! So, just for kicks, here are my favorite bread recipes. FYI--I made my own bagels today. They are SO GOOD!

Flax and Sunflower Seed Bread(I often substitute brown sugar for the honey, and olive oil for the butter. It's good both ways.)
Light Oat Bread (I refuse to have margarine in my kitchen, so I'll either use butter or olive oil in this recipe.)
Delicous, Nutricious Spelt Bread (I love this recipe! I use 4 cups of whole grain spelt flour (that I grind in my Vitamix) and no xanthan gum. I don't braid it, I just raise it in a regular bread pan and bake!)
Sweet Dinner Rolls (You cannot go wrong with these! I follow the recipe exactly!)
French Baguettes (I use this recipe for all the subs I make for my fam, and when I want some good french bread. Oh, and these with French Dip Sandwiches--YUM!)
Bagels (You can vary the toppings, I use sesame seeds or Parmesan cheese or Cinnamon Sugar)
Pita Bread (My family does not like store bought pitas, but they LOVE these! Who knew making pitas could be so easy, and that they could be so delish!)

While I was making my bagels my breadmaker started to sound sick! Yikes! I guess I've had it since I got married (15 years ago), but I'll be so sad if it dies!

No comments: